If you need someone to talk to right now, text the Crisis Text Line (Text HOME to 741741), call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255), or call the Trevor Project LGBTQ Lifeline (1-866-488-7386) for 24/7 support.
Do you feel stressed out? You are not the only one. If you think you are stressed, there are many ways to keep it under control.
Sometimes you may feel sad or depressed, but when is it a serious problem? If depression is affecting your day-to-day life, there may be something you can do about it.
Anxiety can help us cope and it is usually a temporary feeling. But when these feelings last for a long time, or happen when there isn’t a threat, this emotion can be considered a problem. You might need treatment and support.
Poor sleep has a bigger negative impact on grades than binge drinking, marijuana use, and being physically ill. Getting enough quality sleep each night can help you feel more awake and alert, increase your academic performance, and help you work at peak performance!
Talking to a mental health provider can be helpful when you need support. Professionals, like doctors, counselors, or psychiatrists, can make recommendations for managing and treating stress, depression, anxiety, and other self-care practices.
They offer individual and group counseling and support
- To schedule an appointment, call (415) 338-2208 or stop by Student Services Building Room 208
- They offer Group Therapy for Depression. Call for group times and to set up a meeting with the facilitator.
They can connect you to someone for support.
- To schedule an appointment, call (415) 338-1719, login to myHealth, or stop by Student Health Services (located between the Ethnic Studies & Psychology and the Student Services buildings).
- They provide free individual, couple, or group counseling to registered SF State students during the academic year.
The clinic is staffed by second year trainees from the masters program in the Department on Counseling, and supervised by licensed clinical counselors form Counseling & Psychological Services.
- To schedule an appointment, call (415) 338-1024
- They offer low-fee individual, couple, family, and group therapy.
The clinic is staffed by clinical psychology graduate students who are supervised by licensed clinicians.
- To schedule an appointment, call (415) 338-2856
There are many resources in San Francisco and the Bay Area to assist you with immediate and long term support.
- Help Line: (415) 905-NAMI (6264)
- Support Groups
- Peer-to-Peer Classes
- Support for family and friends
- Offers sliding scale therapy in San Francisco
- Call (415) 952-0290 for a free consultation
- Offers low cost mental health counselling
- To schedule an appointment, call (415) 776-3109
- Find services in Oakland, Berkeley, and Albany.
For a longer list of resources, visit the Counseling & Psychological Services Resources page.